Welcome to Race with Cory and thanks for visiting our blog.

If you wish to read the story from the beginning, click here http://racewithcory.blogspot.com/2007/09/beginnings.html. When you're done, click on "2007" in the right column, then "September", then on "Special Olympics Ski Racing, From Beginner to Racer" and go from there.


Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dad Gets Up On Skis

So a lot of success early on - winning all 3 of his first races ever in 2006 - and we were all pretty pleased. Due to the terrible weather conditions on that race day, organizers decided to invite all skiers who participated to the Provincial Games in 2007, so it wasn't really a qualifying race after all.



So by now, I had started skiing too. I had never skied in my life, but one Monday night while sitting in the ski lodge waiting for Cory, it occurred to me that this was pretty crazy, sitting there for 3 or 4 hours every week, and we're in one of the best places in the world to ski - one hour from home with plenty of snow, and Whistler Blackcomb just 2 hours away.



So I figured I'd give it a try - rented skis one night and walked up to the bunny hill. Put the skis on and climbed sideways about 25 feet up the hill, then skied down without any control. Tried it again, climbed a bit higher, skied down but still no control. Climbed a bit higher next time, skied down and this time nearly wiped out some people since I couldn't control my direction. Figured, ok, I'll try this one more time, if it doesn't work, I'll give it up.



Climbed back up, even a bit further up this time, started down, gained some speed, and MADE A TURN! And it felt great...so did that a few more times, then tested myself on the bunny hill chair lift.



Now for anyone who remembers learning how to ski, I'm sure they'd agree that one of the biggest challenges for a novice skier is getting on and off a lift. If you have a problem, the attendent stops the lift and everybody waits while you gather yourself up off the snow and try to somehow get back on, each ski and each pole in a completely different direction that the others.



And then there's the top - usually a fairly steep little hill right off the chair, so you're out of control going far too fast - down you go again to save yourself and any one else who has the misfortune of being in the way, or worse, having to watch.



So of course, I fell off the chair at the top my first time up - remember I'm over 50, on the bunny hill, and falling at the feet of 5 year-olds.



But then my first exhilarating run down the bunny hill, and I was hooked.



So I owe that to my son, if he hadn't tried skiing and become good at it, I never would have tried it and I find it difficult now to see my life without skiing with him. And I get to do something that I really enjoy with my own son, thanks to him. It's pretty special.





No comments: