Welcome to Race with Cory and thanks for visiting our blog.

If you wish to read the story from the beginning, click here http://racewithcory.blogspot.com/2007/09/beginnings.html. When you're done, click on "2007" in the right column, then "September", then on "Special Olympics Ski Racing, From Beginner to Racer" and go from there.


Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Something Special Happened This Week

Well, something just happened that I just have to post. It's late October as I write this (even though our blog is currently set in July). One of the things I've started doing recently is searching other blogs relating to Special Olympics. Unfortunately, there are all-too-frequent ugly references to those who participate in Special Olympics in many blogs out there. When I can, I will comment on the blog that these are offensive comments and that the authors of them betray their ignorance of the dedication, hard work, and incredible challenges that each Special Olympian faces every day.

So I posted such a comment yesterday on someone's blog and I was very pleasantly surprised with an email the next morning apologizing for the insensitive remarks and the blogger removed them immediately.

Not only that, but the blogger has now posted a link to our blog on the front page of his, that looks like this:

"BLOGWATCH: Cory's Dream

The blog’s header tells what it is all about:
Ski Racing with Cory The story of an 18 year-old young man with autism, his love of skiing fast, and his dream of racing in the Special Olympics World Games in 2013. Poignant and rousing, this blog opened my eyes to the plight of mentally challenged children and their families. It takes an amazing amount of determination to deal with the hardships, and it is simply inspiring to see the blog author Michael encourage his son Cory to achieve his dream."

Here's the link to that blog:

http://thadhinunangan.blogspot.com/2007/10/blogwatch-corys-dream.html


Now I believe it takes a special person to apologize, especially in the impersonal world of cyberspace, where it is so easy to be belligerent. But it takes a remarkably special person to not just apologize, but to then take our story and try to educate others with it as well.

The blog's author is in the Phillipines, so he has never skied. But I have thanked him for his very special gesture and Cory and I have invited him to join us at anytime, since we'd love to have him learn to ski with us.

An example of the world of the internet at its very best, isn't it?

2 comments:

Thad said...

Hi Cory and Michael,

How's it going?

I just dropped by again to say a few words..

Under the cloak of anonymity, it seems a lot of people in cyberspace are not really obliged to take responsibility for their actions anymore.. but that of course, does not encompass the whole population. It's good to say that there are still a lot of decent people out there.

One of the lessons I learned was to be more sensitive and recognize other people's hardships and struggles. It's so easy for regular folk to use the mentally challenged as punchlines in their jokes, not knowing what they and their families go through. Even though it was said in a joking manner, a laugh at another's expense is not a good laugh at all.

The experience has helped me open my eyes, and now I know I can contribute by spreading awareness. I am presently a Nursing student, and soon we will be having our affiliation with hospitals. Our future work involves caring for mentally challenged individuals, and from now on I'll always keep that special care in mind.

The best of luck for Cory's training! The most important thing more than winning, I think is to simply enjoy the experience. Make the most out of life! = )

Regards,
Thad

Anonymous said...

hi, new to the site, thanks.