Welcome to Race with Cory and thanks for visiting our blog.

If you wish to read the story from the beginning, click here http://racewithcory.blogspot.com/2007/09/beginnings.html. When you're done, click on "2007" in the right column, then "September", then on "Special Olympics Ski Racing, From Beginner to Racer" and go from there.


Friday, November 16, 2007

Special Olympics Ski Racing - Working on the Plan

We now have better coaching in place and some great equipment to race on.

Now we need to find more race experience. Again on the internet, we find the Kokanee Race Series, also held on Whistler-Blackcomb. But on Thursdays, so that will be a challenge with work & school. The entry fee is reasonable, only $25, but if Cory and I need to buy lift tickets, that's pushing $200. So I emailed Rob Mcskimming at Whistler-Blackcomb, outlined our situation and Whistler-Blackcomb has come through as yet another benefactor for Cory's dream - they'll allow me to accompany Cory at no charge. The first Kokanee race is a GS on Blackcomb on December 13. Don't know yet if we'll attend that one, but there are two races scheduled for January. And they give away a free set of Atomic skis at each race, so that would be cool! So stand by for an update if we attend the December 13 race.


Back in the summer, Cory was given a racing bib that Robbie Dixon, a Canadian developmental skier, wore as a forerunner in the Lake Louise World Cup back in November 2006. Robbie's step-mother works with one of Cory's cousins and that's how it came to belong to Cory. Here it is now hanging in his room. Robbie is now on the Canadian World Cup team.



Cory wrote to Robbie to thank him and Robbie was gracious enough to send him this email:

"Hey Cory
I'm happy to hear that my stepmom was able to give you the racing bib. I hope it does bring you good luck!! Yes I have been to Mt Hood before. Its pretty cool place to train. Before I was on Rossignol, I too skied on Volkl. Maybe the next pair of skis you get will be Rossignol! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying ski racing. I wish all the best of luck to you this year. Let me know how you do.


Take care
Robbie Dixon"


At around the same time, Kelly Vander Beek, also a member of Canada's World Cup ski team, sent him an encouraging email as well:

"Hello Cory,
I hope you are doing well and looking forward to the upcoming winter season! My name is Kelly VanderBeek and I ski on Canada's World Cup speed team. I've been racing World Cup's for 5 years now and did my first Olympics in Torino 2006 where I finished 4th, just barely off the podium.I visited your blogspot recently and caught up on what you've been up to.

You certainly have had some real success in your skiing pursuits so far. I hope you enjoy your time on the hill and all the challenges & learning opportunities sport has to offer. I know there are many amazing parts of sport, and many difficult ones as well. The one thing that remains constant is the wonderful journey that sport can take you on. The opportunities that arise from sport are often unimaginable and exceed even my wildest dreams. From a simple kind word of a volunteer who's cheering me on to the opportunity of competing in the Olympics.

I hope you find your journey in life and sport to be one of challenges that bring meaning to your life. I wish you all the best in your pursuits.

Most Sincerely with Big Cheers,
Kelly VanderBeek
Olympian and Canadian Alpine Ski Team Member"


So it's pretty cool to have two members of our national ski team encouraging Cory. We hope to get to Whistler in February 2008 to see them both in person as they ski in the World Cup events there. Thank you Robbie Dixon and Kelly VanderBeek.

So that's about it, the plan to make Cory's Dream to race in the Special Olympics World Games in 2013 come true is under way, as we wait for snow for the coming season. I'll continue to update as things happen, certainly as Cory participates in the Gatebusters program and the Kokanee Race Series, and in the Special Olympics races that are planned in February or March of 2008.

How this story ends remains to be seen of course. Lots of things can happen in six years. In the meantime, we'll enjoy every minute of ski time, as I certainly treasure every moment (well, most of them at least, after all, he is a teenager!) with him.

I'm very lucky, my son truly is special.

(So what do you think of our blog - leave a comment and let us know.)

No comments: